Shauna Lee Lange Studios is full of big ideas about original, creative, and unique art programs, people, and perspectives! Here’s where you’ll find original strategic thinking & creative community culturists working in a host of art related activities.
941.875.5190 - Mobile
Web; Linkedin, Twitter; Flickr; Pinterest
A prior 15-plus year U.S. Navy, Federal & State government career in statistical analysis, public administration, and large-scale project management means that I hold many years of analytics, management consulting, leadership training, and public advisory information brokering.
For 2014 and the future, I’ll be continuing as an independent professional artist exhibiting self-taught, late-emergent, mixed-media sketchbooks, art journals, and visual diaries. These artworks are concentrated in themes of personal geographies within natural elements, relational changes, and life’s journeys. I am also moving back towards my original love of professional organization and design work centered around creating authentic environments for studios, workspaces, and creativity centers.
You can read more about my process, media, and tools below. Or you can see our Washington, DC studio as featured in Cloth Paper Scissors Studio Magazine . Some of my recent art journaling work on black substrate can be seen in Somerset Studios Gallery Magazine [Summer 2012]. I was also recently featured in an article on World Net Daily describing my transition from a military mom to an artist of faith . My watercolor artwork is featured in Art Journaling Magazine [Spring 2014].
Shauna Lee Lange Artist Statement
I am listening, channeling, and communicating – through the interaction of beautifully intriguing color environments. Highly motivated by bright and vivid color forms, exchange of contemporary hues, and non-conventional color field manipulations, I am producing color theory applications for eventual large-scale public art as stunning psychological and societal tools. Most of my effort in initial works on paper is found within art journals, visual diaries, and sketchbooks.
“Microcircles” is a 2012/2013 illustrated example of an abstract series achieved via labor-intensive rendering of miniscule shapes of color. Upon closer inspection, one finds the subsequent formation of a community of thousands of amorphous hand-drawn forms. Inspired by Neo-Pointillism with intricate, cellular-like detail, a new whole out of a sum of parts is achieving and challenging complex communities of layering perceptions. Here, the relationship of one standing next to another creates a third, bonded entity.
My thematic concentrations include personal geographies and organic change. I am learning to embrace the fact that I am a cross-discipline big systems thinker, a true analyst who is always searching for larger meaning. The intersecting space and light are becoming more highlighted in unusual and unexpected ways, perhaps in larger-sized clean and clear simplicities within a concentrated chaos.
Artwork decisions are made based on disposition and composition. When an idea has solidified (often mid-process), I go searching for thoughts previously cast aside. I compile the theme, figure out the components, design for the conveyance, and then I define and interpret intuitively. Mirroring life’s holes, I am seeking not only to show an accomplished work, but to also accept the spaces between individual marks and to accentuate them. My techniques are rough, experimental, and constantly progressing. Often used materials include pen & ink, marker, and increasingly watercolor. Collage pieces, executed when a break is needed, are focused through ephemera on construction and unity, yet still pressing the boundaries of color patterning.
A current daily practice, now based out of Southwest Florida, explores how all the pieces come together, attempting to make a statement or map of sorts for a new future. I am challenging myself to overcome half a life lived without a dedicated focus on art. I am also learning how to harness and master what now borders on overflowing, compelling compulsion. I am self-taught, mid-career, and hopeful that the work meets the figurative and literal other, wherever it may exist.
Shauna Lee Lange Art Resume
This art resume reflects professional arts and art advisory accomplishments as of January 2014. Additional information regarding a former career in U.S. Federal Government management and program analytics is also available.
Born United States 1963. Works and resides in Southwest Florida since 2011. Self-taught visionary artist, administrator, and arts advisor. Holds curatorial experience in the visual and fine art industries with depth and breadth in managing a broad range of demands as a creative leader. Driven arts advocate, speaker, and proponent. Responsible and informative communications with a variety of stakeholders on highly complex and descriptive projects and materials. Immersed in visual thinking, visual communications, visual culture, and visual curating via emergent technologies. Over fifteen years business and regulatory analytics with the US Government (US Navy Veteran).
education & certifications
- 2013. Heritage Preservation.
- 2013. American Association of State and Local History Small Museum: Collections Management.
- 2013. American Alliance of Museums: Collections Care Certification.
- 2013. New York Museum of Modern Art: Art & Inquiry: Museum Teaching Strategies.
- 2013. Stanford University Venture Labs: Design Thinking.
- 2013. Bucks Community College. Historical Preservation & Conservation (various coursework).
- 2012. Arts Council of Charlotte County. Art Therapy Workshop.
- 2012. State of Florida. Licensed art gallery & art consultant.
- 2011. Florida Auctioneers Academy. Auction House Business License
- 2010. Commonwealth of Virginia. Licensed art gallery & art consultant.
- 2008. New York Art Expo. Collector Development Certifications.
- 2008 – 2006. Various Art History and Art Appreciation Certificates.
- 2007. National Advocacy Center for Law and Justice, Columbus, SC. Freedom of Information & Privacy Act.
- 2005. Rhode Island School of Design. Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practices.
- 2004. State of Arizona. Licensed art gallery & art consultant.
- 2003. Graduate School U.S.D.A. Federal Executive Institute. Leadership Management.
- 1996 – 2000. Roger Williams University. Public Administration Arts Management (non-degree).
- 1985 – 1990. US Navy. Data Programming.
arts administration skills
Creative Art Consultants International – Founder, established 2006; Shauna Lee Lange Arts Advisory – Founder, established 2006; Arts Writer – Editor, Idea Generator, Art Critique, Artistic Creator, Designer; Large Scale Public Art – Proposal, Design, RFP Process, Installations, Grants; Research and Analysis – Quantitative, Qualitative, Appraisals, Valuation; Project Management – Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Contract Review; Strategic Planning – Systems Thinking, Business Process Improvement, Time Management; Public Art Administration – Foundation & Relationship Developer, Collections Management; Consensus Builder – Leader & Organizer, Communicator and Coach; Arts Educator – Workshops, Lectures, Program Development, Seminars; Art Fairs & Festivals – Organizer, Exhibitor, Promoter; Social Media Networking – LinkedIn, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Pinterest, WordPress
grants & awards
- 2013. Charlotte County Commissioners Artist of the Month.
- 2013. Creative Capital Professional Development Foundation Grant.
- 2012. Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program Grant.
- 2011. Florida Keys Art Council Grant. Artists in Schools.
- 2013. Florida Department of State. Life in Florida 2013 (Time Capsule)
- 2013. World Wide Internet. Provocateur Series. Self-portraiture photography depicted at major art installations.
- 2011. Los Alamos Commerce & Development Corporation/NM Main Street Program, Los Alamos, NM. Next Big Idea: Festival of Discovery, Invention and Innovation. Compulsion to Draw Microcircles Series.
- 2010. Crystal City, VA Business Improvement District, Arlington, VA. G40. Tape Art.
- 2009. DC Takoma Park Metro Underpass, Takoma Park, MD & City of Washington, DC. Mosaic Art.
- 2010, 2009. Nationals Baseball Stadium & Half-Street Corporation, Washington, DC. Installation.
- 2010. US Department of Transportation Sloan Gallery, Washington, DC. Microcircle Series.
- 2009. Art House, Brooklyn, NY. The Circles/Outside Myself.
- 2009. International Sketchbook Project, World Wide Internet. Curator Kenya Bevans.
- 2009. Artomatic09, Washington, DC. Temporary Installation.
- 2008. Art House Sketchbook Exchange, Atlanta, GA. Everything You Know.
- 2008. Chalk for Peace, Washington, DC.
- 2008. Crystal City, VA Business Improvement District. Boeing Corporation. Marriott Gateway/Marine Corps.
- 2015. United Way of Charlotte County, Port Charlotte, FL. Microcircles.
- 2015. Keller Law Office, P.A., Punta Gorda, FL. Microcircles.
- 2014. Punta Gorda Club for Tennis and Fitness, Punta Gorda, FL. Microcircles.
- 2014. Cultural Center of Charlotte County, Port Charlotte, FL. Microcircles.
- 2014. Campbell’s Enrolled Agents, Punta Gorda, FL. Microcircles.
- 2014. Lexington Manor Assisted Living, Port Charlotte, FL. Microcircles.
- 2013. Florida Gulf Coast University, Punta Gorda, FL. Microcircles.
- 2013. Charlotte DeSoto Building Industry Association, Port Charlotte, FL. Microcircles.
- 2013. Charlotte County Administration Building, Port Charlotte, FL. Microcircles.
- 2008. Alexandria City Council Chambers, Alexandria, VA. Vintage Chromolithographs.
- 2014. The Painted Bride Arts Center, Philadelphia, PA. The Clothesline Muse Project.
- 2013. Cape Coral Arts Studio, Cape Coral, FL. May Blossoms. Juror Cape Coral Board of Commissioners.
- 2012. St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, Washington, DC. Collage “Boy Boy” for permanent exhibition. Juror Randall Holloway.
- 2011. World Wide Web. Stacks. Juror and Curator Seth Apter.
- 2011. Marnie Sheridan Gallery at Harpeth Hall School, Nashville, TN. The Art of Collage and Assemblage. Juror and Curator Marla Faith.
- 2011. Salt Creek Artworks, St. Petersburg, FL. World Wide Web. Studio, Studio! Juror and Curator Sheree Rensel.
- 2009. The Torpedo Factory & The Art Outlet, Alexandria, VA. Third Annual Ofrenda: Day of the Dead. Juror Henrik Sundquist.
- 2009. Del Ray Artisans, Del Ray, VA. Nocturne: From Dawn to Dusk. Juror Seana Gallagher.
- 2009. Pyramid Atlantic, Bethesda, MD & Target Gallery, Alexandria, VA. Book Arts. Juror Helen Frederick.
- 2014. North Port City Hall, North Port, FL. 3rd Annual Belle Soiree.
- 2013. Venice Art Center, Venice, FL. Summerfest 2013: Gifts of the Gulf.
- 2013. Florida Humanities Council & North Port Art Center. Viva Florida FL500.
- 2013. Artdc.org, #Tweetusart.
- 2012. Keys Arts Council, Key West, FL. A Salute To Veterans II.
- 2011. The Studios of Key West, FL. Love: 10th Anniversary of the One Human Family.
- 2011. Funkie Junkies, Punta Gorda, FL. Various Artworks on Consignment.
- 2010. Private Art Auction Donation. Del Ray, VA. 50/50 Haiti.
- 2009. Target Gallery, Alexandria, VA. Postcards.
- 2009. Climate Gallery, Long Island, NY. Die Zeit of Drawing.
- 2009. APW Gallery, Long Island, NY. Vinyl Records.
- 2008. Brooklyn Art Gym, Brooklyn, NY. BKLYN: 111.
- 2008 & 2009. A Show of Hands, Del Ray, VA. Handcrafted map journals and chromolithograph vintage collage.
- 2008. NBC4, Washington Convention Center, Washington DC. 15th Annual Health & Fitness Exposition, 2nd Annual DC Scene Artists Exposition. Collaboration with Lauren Turnbull.
- 2008. 41st Annual Art League Patrons’ Show Fundraiser, Alexandria, VA.
selected public relations/media/bibliography
- 2013. South Florida Arts Journal (Inaugural Issue). Cover Artist (Microcircles).
- 2013. Author, No Plaything: Articulated Terracotta Dolls and the Greek Girl Child in 5th Century Antiquity.
- 2012. Somerset Studios Gallery Magazine. Featured Artist.
- 2012. World Net Daily. Featured Artist by Marissa Martin.
- 2011. KONK Broadcasting Network, Key West, FL. Radio & Internet Broadcasting Personality.
- 2011. Overstock.com. Arts Consultant.
- 2010. The Target Gallery, Alexandria, VA. Independent Juror for the 2010 Open Exhibition.
- 2009. Cloth, Paper, Scissors STUDIOS Magazine. Featured Artist.
- 2009. The Art League, Alexandria, VA. Independent Juror for the 2011 Solo Show Awards.
- 2009. The Soundry, Vienna, VA. Group Juror for 12 Angry Women.
- 2009. Art Whino, National Harbor, MD. Low Brow vs. High Brow Art. Presenter with JimBot.
- 2009. Voice of America. Radio Broadcast Interviewee on Painter C. M. Dupre.
- 2008 – 2009. Friends of the Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA. Independent Juror for the 2009 Artist of the Year Award.
- 2008. Torpedo Art Factory, Alexandria, VA. Cultivate Your Taste For Art: Establishing an Art Collection. Presenter with Philippa Hughes and Suzanna Parnin.
- 2008. Americans for the Arts & Vander Zee School of Painting. Group Panelist for Creative Endeavors.
- 2008. Americans for the Arts & Vander Zee School of Painting. Group Panelist for Sources of Creativity.
- 2006 – 2010. Mid Atlantic Arts News/Daily Campello. Contributing Writer under Editor Lenny Campello.
- 2005. Roger Williams University, Bristol, RI. Author, State of American Public Art & Culture Museums.
- 2005 – Prior. Sun Chronicle Newspapers, Attleboro, MA. Contributing Feature Writer on arts & humanities.
selected foundational development & arts advocacy
- 2012. TEDX, Sarasota, FL. 12/12/12.
- 2011. Charlotte County Arts & Humanities Council, Port Charlotte, FL. ArtSensation Exposition.
- 2011. Culture Builds Florida, Tampa, FL. 2011 Conference.
- 2010. Combined Federal Campaign. Silent Auction.
- 2009. Holloway Ventures, Washington, DC. Board Member.
- 2009. Alexandria, VA Housing Association. Contributing Artist.
- 2009. Habitat Galleries, McLean, VA. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Fundraiser. Contributing Artist.
- 2008. Vander Zee Foundation. Gala Consultant & Planning Committee Chair.
- 2008. Service Members Legal Defense Networks, Washington, DC. National Dinner & Charity Auction.
workshops & classes
- 2013. North Port Arts Center. Funtastic Summer Kids Camp (Various).
- 2012. Charlotte County Cultural Center. Art Journaling for Artists.
- 2011 – Present. Private and Individual Instruction Home Studios.
- 2009. Artomatic. Art Journaling for Adults, Teens, and Kids.
- 2000 – 2005. Various Art Festivals. Face Painting at Art Festivals.
- 2013. North Port Art Center.
- 2013. Arts & Humanities Council Charlotte County.
- 2012. Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce.
- 2012. Americans for the Arts.
- 2011. Key West, FL Chamber of Commerce.
- 2011. Key West, FL Business Guild.
- 2010. National Association of Professional Women.
- 2010. National Association of Professional Organizers.
- 2010. Alexandria, VA Chamber of Commerce.
- 2009. National Americans for the Arts.
- 2009. National Association of Investigative Sciences.
- 2008. Washington Project for the Arts.