I am communicating and listening. Most of my work involves a growing and heavy use of ink on paper, graphic images, and collaged transitory written and printed matter in small and large format. I love art journals, visual diaries and sketchbook pieces that are used to assemble new images with new meanings. Highly motivated by color forms, the exchange of color, and color manipulation, I have a keen interest in the public arts arena and color theory. My newer series “Microcircles”, is achieved via labor-intensive rendering of miniscule circles of color and the formation of a subsequent community of thousands of hand-drawn forms. It tries to achieve a new whole out of a sum of parts. When people say the art is like Pointillism or are amazed by the detail, I’ve even more motivated to find ways to have the color come through and to make my own unique voice shine. Currently, I am working on a series “Provocateur”. It features controversial life-size photographs of myself in association experimentation.
Decisions are made based on mood, color, and composition. When an idea has solidified, I go searching for items previously cast aside. I compile the items, figure out the design for the message I want to convey, and then I define and interpret intuitively. As life has holes, I am seeking not only to show a finished work, but to accept the space between individual components and to accentuate it; much as in life’s imperfections. I select materials based on texture, meaning, and color. My techniques are rough, experimental, and constantly changing. Themes I focus on include matters of the heart, listening to one’s inner voice, personal geographies, and being true to one’s self. Many works end up having a maritime, oceanic, or nautical bent. I have learned to embrace the fact that I am a big systems thinker, a true analyst. I am always trying to find larger meaning. I am constantly amazed at how subjects, people, and events intersect in unusual and unexpected ways, especially in my work. Perhaps the Florida sun has inspired the choice of materials as I am interested in clean and clear simplicity within chaos.
I didn’t plug into childhood art memories until I reached my early forties. My then college-aged daughter left to attend art school in New York. Suddenly alone in my empty-nest syndrome, I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out who I had become, who I had been, and what there was left to love. My current work, based out of Southwest Florida, grows out of these life transitions and the new experience of being a late-aged mom to a son born in 2007. I am still exploring how all the pieces come together – attempting to make sense out of the past and make a statement, or a map of sorts, for a new and uncertain future. I am challenged to find the artistic expression or the venue for half a life lived without a dedicated focus on art. I am self-taught, I am emerging, and I want to meet others (figuratively and literally) through my art. Mostly, I want to meet and know myself.
Resume was last updated 5/13 and reflects my professional artist accomplishments. Please contact me if you are interested in learning more about my prior career in government analytics.
shauna lee lange
port charlotte, fl 33952
941.875.9090 – direct 941.875.5190 – mobile
Born United States 1963. Works and resides in Southwest Florida since 2011. Self-taught visionary artist, administrator and advisor. Holds formal experience in the visual art industry with depth and breadth in managing a broad range of demands as a Creative Director. Driven arts advocate, speaker and proponent. A working and exhibiting artist and educator in themes of personal geographies and organic transformation. Accomplished interactions with a variety of stakeholders on highly complex and descriptive projects and materials. Immersed in visual thinking, visual communications, visual culture and visual curating via emergent marketing and branding technologies. Over fifteen years business and regulatory analytics with the US Government (US Navy Veteran).
education & certifications
- 2012. Arts Council of Charlotte County. Art Therapy Workshop.
- 2012. Florida licensed art gallery & art consultant.
- 2011. Florida Auctioneers Academy. Auction House Business License (Florida Department of Business Regulation).
- 2010. Virginia licensed art gallery & art consultant.
- 2008. New York Art Expo. Collector Development Certifications.
- 2008 – 2006. Various Art History and Art Appreciation Certificates.
- 2007. National Advocacy Center for Law and Justice, Columbus, SC. Freedom of Information & Privacy Act.
- 2006 – Present. Shauna Lee Lange Studios. Founder & Creative Director.
- 2006 – Present. Creative Art Consultants International Network. Founder & Creative Director.
- 2005. Rhode Island School of Design. Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practices.
- 2004. Arizona licensed art gallery & art consultant.
- 2003. Graduate School U.S.D.A. Federal Executive Institute. Leadership Management.
- 1996 – 2000. Roger Williams University. Public Administration Arts Management (incomplete).
- 1985 – 1990. US Navy. Data Programming.
arts administration skill set
Arts Writer – Editor, Idea Generator, Art Critique, Artistic Creator, Designer
Large Scale Public Art – Proposal, Design, RFP Process, Installations
Research and Analysis – Quantitative, Qualitative, Appraisals, Valuation
Project Management – Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Contract Review
Strategic Planning – Systems Thinking, Business Process Improvement, Time Management
Public Art Administration – Foundation & Relationship Developer, Collections Management
Social Media Networking – LinkedIn, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Pinterest, WordPress
Consensus Builder – Leader & Organizer, Communicator and Coach
Arts Educator – Workshops, Lectures, Talks, Seminars
Art Fairs & Festivals – Organizer, Exhibitor, Promoter
grants & awards
- 2013. Creative Capital Foundation Grant.
- 2012. Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program Grant.
- 2011. Florida Keys Art Council Grant.
- 2013. World Wide Internet. Provocateur Series. Self-portraiture photography depicted at major art installations.
- 2011. Los Alamos Commerce & Development Corporation/NM Main Street Program, Los Alamos, NM. Next Big Idea: Festival of Discovery, Invention and Innovation. Compulsion to Draw Microcircles Series.
- 2010. Crystal City, VA Business Improvement District, Arlington, VA. G40. Tape Art.
- 2009. DC Takoma Park Metro Underpass, Takoma Park, MD & City of Washington, DC. Mosaic Art.
- 2010, 2009. Nationals Baseball Stadium & Half-Street Corporation, Washington, DC. Installation.
- 2010. US Department of Transportation Sloan Gallery, Washington, DC. Microcircle Series.
- 2009. Art House, Brooklyn, NY. The Circles/Outside Myself.
- 2009. International Sketchbook Project, World Wide Internet. Curator Kenya Bevans.
- 2009. Artomatic09, Washington, DC. Temporary Installation.
- 2008. Art House Sketchbook Exchange, Atlanta, GA. Everything You Know.
- 2008. Chalk for Peace, Washington, DC.
- 2008. Crystal City, VA Business Improvement District. Boeing Corporation. Marriott Gateway/Marine Corps.
- 2015. United Way of Charlotte County, Port Charlotte, FL. Shauna Lee Lange: Microcircles.
- 2015. Keller Law Office, P.A., Punta Gorda, FL. Shauna Lee Lange: Microcircles.
- 2014. Punta Gorda Club for Tennis and Fitness, Punta Gorda, FL. Shauna Lee Lange: Microcircles.
- 2014. Cultural Center of Charlotte County, Port Charlotte, FL. Shauna Lee Lange: Microcircles.
- 2014. Lexington Manor Assisted Living, Port Charlotte, FL. Shauna Lee Lange: Microcircles.
- 2013. Florida Gulf Coast University, Punta Gorda, FL. Shauna Lee Lange: Microcircles.
- 2013. Charlotte DeSoto Building Industry Association, Port Charlotte, FL. Shauna Lee Lange: Microcircles.
- 2013. Charlotte County Administration Building, Port Charlotte, FL. Shauna Lee Lange: Microcircles.
- 2008. Alexandria City Council Chambers, Alexandria, VA. Chromolithograph Series.
- 2013. Cape Coral Arts Studio, Cape Coral, FL. May Blossoms. Juror Cape Coral Board of Commissioners.
- 2012. St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, Washington, DC. Collage “Boy Boy” for permanent exhibition. Juror Randall Holloway.
- 2011. World Wide Web. Stacks. Juror and Curator Seth Apter.
- 2011. Marnie Sheridan Gallery at Harpeth Hall School, Nashville, TN. The Art of Collage and Assemblage. Juror and Curator Marla Faith.
- 2011. Salt Creek Artworks, St. Petersburg, FL. World Wide Web. Studio, Studio! Juror and Curator Sheree Rensel.
- 2009. The Torpedo Factory & The Art Outlet, Alexandria, VA. Third Annual Ofrenda: Day of the Dead. Juror Henrik Sundquist.
- 2009. Del Ray Artisans, Del Ray, VA. Nocturne: From Dawn to Dusk. Juror Seana Gallagher.
- 2009. Pyramid Atlantic, Bethesda, MD & Target Gallery, Alexandria, VA. Book Arts. Juror Helen Frederick.
- 2012. Keys Arts Council, Key West, FL. A Salute To Veterans II
- 2011. The Studios of Key West, FL. Love: 10th Anniversary of the One Human Family.
- 2010. Private Art Auction Donation. Del Ray, VA. 50/50 Haiti.
- 2009. Target Gallery, Alexandria, VA. Postcards.
- 2009. Climate Gallery, Long Island, NY. Die Zeit of Drawing.
- 2009. APW Gallery, Long Island, NY. Vinyl Records.
- 2008. Brooklyn Art Gym, Brooklyn, NY. BKLYN: 111.
- 2008 & 2009. A Show of Hands, Del Ray, VA. Handcrafted map journals and chromolithograph vintage collage.
- 2008. NBC4, Washington Convention Center, Washington DC. 15th Annual Health & Fitness Exposition, 2nd Annual DC Scene Artists Exposition. Collaboration with Lauren Turnbull.
- 2008. 41st Annual Art League Patrons’ Show Fundraiser, Alexandria, VA.
selected public relations/media/bibliography
- 2013. Author, No Plaything: Articulated Terracotta Dolls and the Greek Girl Child in 5th Century Antiquity.
- 2012. Somerset Studios Gallery Magazine. Featured Artist.
- 2012. World Net Daily. Featured Artist by Marissa Martin.
- 2011. KONK Broadcasting Network, Key West, FL. Radio & Internet Broadcasting Personality.
- 2011. Overstock.com. Arts Consultant.
- 2010. The Target Gallery, Alexandria, VA. Independent Juror for the 2010 Open Exhibition.
- 2009. Cloth, Paper, Scissors STUDIOS Magazine. Featured Artist.
- 2009. The Art League, Alexandria, VA. Independent Juror for the 2011 Solo Show Awards.
- 2009. The Soundry, Vienna, VA. 12 Angry Women. Group Jurist.
- 2009. Art Whino, National Harbor, MD. Low Brow vs. High Brow Art. Presenter with JimBot.
- 2009. Voice of America. Radio Broadcast Interviewee on Painter C. M. Dupre.
- 2008 – 2009. Friends of the Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA. Independent Juror for the 2009 Artist of the Year Award.
- 2008. Torpedo Art Factory, Alexandria, VA. Cultivate Your Taste For Art: Establishing an Art Collection. Presenter with Philippa Hughes and Suzanna Parnin.
- 2008. Americans for the Arts & Vander Zee School of Painting. Creative Endeavors. Group Panelist.
- 2008. Americans for the Arts & Vander Zee School of Painting. Sources of Creativity. Group Panelist.
- 2006 – 2010. Mid Atlantic Arts News/Daily Campello. Contributing Writer under Editor Lenny Campello.
- 2005. Roger Williams University, Bristol, RI. Author, State of American Public Art & Culture Museums.
- 2005 – Prior. Sun Chronicle Newspapers, Attleboro, MA. Contributing Feature Writer on arts & humanities.
selected foundational development & arts advocacy
- 2012. TEDX, Sarasota, FL. 12/12/12.
- 2011. Charlotte County Arts & Humanities Council, Port Charlotte, FL. ArtSensation Exposition.
- 2011. Culture Builds Florida, Tampa, FL. 2011 Conference.
- 2010. Combined Federal Campaign. Silent Auction.
- 2009. Holloway Ventures, Washington, DC. Board Member.
- 2009. Alexandria, VA Housing Association. Contributing Artist.
- 2009. Habitat Galleries, McLean, VA. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Fundraiser. Contributing Artist.
- 2008. Vander Zee Foundation. Gala Consultant & Planning Committee Chair.
- 2008. Service Members Legal Defense Networks, Washington, DC. National Dinner & Charity Auction.
- 2013. North Port Arts Center. Funtastic Summer Kids Camp (Various).
- 2012. Charlotte County Cultural Center. Art Journaling for Artists.
- 2011 = Present. Private and Individual Instruction from Home Studios.
- 2009. Artomatic. Art Journaling for Adults, Art Journaling for Teens, Art Journaling for Kids.
- 2000 – 2005. Various Art Festivals. Face Painting at Art Festivals.
- 2013. North Port Art Center.
- 2013. Arts & Humanities Council Charlotte County.
- 2012. Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce.
- 2011. Key West, FL Chamber of Commerce.
- 2011. Key West, FL Business Guild.
- 2010. National Association of Professional Women.
- 2010. National Association of Professional Organizers.
- 2010. Alexandria, VA Chamber of Commerce.
- 2009. National Americans for the Arts.
- 2009. National Association of Investigative Sciences.
- 2008. Washington Project for the Arts.